Sunday 21 October 2012

A shameful confession

I have a terrible confession to make. It will make grown men cry and people will shun me. There is a good chance that I will be hounded in the street and persecuted for the rest of my life. But to clear my conscience I must confess.

I have been a science fiction fan for as long as I have been able to read. At school I read novels by Hugh Walters. I watched films like ‘Forbidden Planet’. I listened to Jet Morgan and the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. As I grew older I moved to novels by Asimov and Blish. The Foundation series and Cities in Flight are still some of my favourite reading. When I was 12 years old I went to the cinema and was completely blown away by  film where a starship appears from the top of the screen, energy beams are lighting it up and then a massive starship is chasing it. Star Wars had an impact on my pre-teenage mind. If there were any doubts as to whether I liked the futuristic universe they were gone. Now I read the same stuff, Neal Asher, Peter F Hamilton, Ian M Banks among many. I love it, you will already know this if you read all my blogs.

chris-foss-starship-nebula-2

But here is where it starts to go wrong. ITV have been showing the later Star Wars prequels. When they first came out I went to the cinema to see them and thought ‘Wow!’ But now I have sat and watched them through an adults eyes and thought ‘actually they’re pretty crap.’

star wars

There. I have admitted it. I do not like the newer Star Wars Films. The comedy characters, that tit with the big ears for example, spoil it for starters. But they could have been so good. The concept was fantastic but it was let down by the fact that it seemed to be aimed at preschool children. Sorry George, your special effects are some of the best I have seen but you still made three crap films. You should have left  it with just the first three. Please don’t bother to make any more.

Regards

Picture0005

Giant68 Sad smile

1 comment:

  1. Fortunately Lucas has officially retired from making movies. His last film was about a black pilots in WW2.

    It was shit.

    ReplyDelete